At this point, we are not aware of any other Table tennis robots powered by a computer. We use raspberry pi as it is popular, but our robot will be able to run on other boards like beaglebone too.
You may ask as a player what difference does it make if a microcontroller or a computer runs the robot?
Here are some advantages
- It is easy to add the capability to run on voice commands.
- Do not have any clubs/coach nearby? Add a camera and stream your practice to a coach who can view your training and remotely add drills for you to practice.
- Record yourself playing a drill and watch it later to figure out what mistakes you are doing
- It runs a database. You will have the ability to add analytics in terms of what stroke has been practiced and keep track of it.
- Automatically upload a video to S3 or dropbox for getting feedback.
- If you are a coach in a club, you can set up drills for each player for each session.